Today’s article “How to do Mula bandha Mudra?” is about. What are the benefits of Mula bandha Mudra? And what precautions should be taken while doing this mudra? And now you will know about all these in detail. So let’s get started.
What is Mula bandha Mudra?
Mula means root and dam mean to tie. Here the word Mula can have many meanings, such as the Muladhara Chakra, the abode of Kundalini, the base of the spine or the trunk of the body or the perineum, etc. The yogis called Mula bandha Mudra, which naturally moves the descending Apanavayu upwards by force through contraction (of the anus).
If you want to learn different types of yoga asana then you should learn the Weight Loss Retreat.
Definition of Mula bandha Mudra –
Scholars have defined Mula bandha Mudra as follows –
1- According to Swami Satyananda Saraswati Saraswati – This practice leads a person towards the ultimate aim of yoga, that is, infinite existence while changing the mental state.
2- According to Swami Vigyanand Saraswati – it is the Mula of all the ghosts, that is, the abode of the whole world is Brahma, in which the mind is tied.
3- According to Swami Kuvalyananda – Mula bandha Mudra is mainly the practice of shrinking the muscles of the anal sphincter.
How to do Mula Bandha Mudra?
The method of doing this mudra is as follows –
Mula bandha Mudra Method 1 –
- To do this, sit in Siddhasana or Siddhayoni easily so that there is pressure on the penis Mula vaginal area.
- And now close the eyes and relax the whole body.
- Be aware of natural breathing for a few moments.
- After that focus the reflexes on the male sex origin and the female vaginal area.
- Contract this area by pulling the muscles of the perineum region upwards.
- After that relax the muscles.
- Now keep on compressing and relaxing the male sex origin and the female vaginal region equally for a while as rhythmically as possible.
- This was the first stage.
- In the second phase, gradually the male penis root and the female vaginal area should be compressed and maintain the contraction.
- And then keep breathing normally, do not hold your breath.
- Now increase the contraction a little more but keep the rest of the body in a state of relaxation.
- Only the root region should compress the muscles of the penis root and vaginal region.
- In this, the anus and urinary barriers also shrink in the beginning. But as the awareness and control increase, it will decrease and gradually it will end. In the end, you will feel the movement of a single point in front of the heel.
- Now slowly relax the muscles evenly.
- Adjust the tension of the spine to bring concentration to the point of contraction.
- Initially, Mula bandha Mudra can be practiced up to 10 times with maximum contraction and complete relaxation.
Mula Bandha Mudra Method 2: With Antarkumbhaka and Jalandhara Bandha –
- Sit in Siddhasana or Siddhayoni posture or Moolbandhasana in such a way that the knees keep touching the ground.
- In these asanas, the pressure of the heels falls on the Muladhara region. Which helps in the best practice of bandha.
- Now keep the palms on the knees.
- Then close the eyes and relax the whole body for a few moments.
- Now take a deep breath. Then hold your breath in and do Jalandhara Bandha.
- While keeping Jalandhara bandha, apply Mula bandha Mudra while slowly compressing the Muladhara/vaginal region.
- Hold the contraction as tightly as you can, don’t push too hard.
- This is the last position. Stay in the last position till you can hold your breath comfortably.
- Now slowly loosen the first Mula Bandha Mudra, straighten the head (Jalandhara Bandha) and exhale.
- Practice it like this 10 times.
Awareness during Mula bandha Mudra –
Your awareness should be focused on breathing while physically coming to the final position and while doing Jalandhara Bandha.
When in Mula bandha Mudra’s final position the awareness should be focused on the contraction of Muladhara.
Spiritually your awareness should be on the breath and then on the Muladhara chakra at the time of contraction.
Precautions in Mula Bandha Mudra –
- It should be practiced only under the guidance of an experienced yoga teacher.
- A person suffering from excessive constipation and bloody piles should not do it.
- And the person suffering from a fissure should also not do it.
- Mula Bandha Mudra awakens energies very quickly and if not practiced properly. So symptoms of overactivity can arise.
If you are a fitness freak and want to learn more about yoga poses, then you should enroll in the 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh.
Benefits of Mula Bandha Mudra –
- Many physical, mental, and spiritual benefits are obtained by doing Mula Bandha Mudra.
- This practice makes the reproductive and fecal urinary excretory system healthy.
- It provides strength to the nerves of the range.
- Intestinal peristalsis is also stimulated. Due to this constipation and hemorrhoids are cured.
- Very useful for patients with asthma, bronchitis, and gout.
- It is also beneficial in anal fissures, ulcer prostatitis, hypertrophy of the prostate, and chronic pelvic infection.
- This practice releases energy. Therefore, it is also beneficial in the treatment of some diseases that cause psychosomatic and humoral effects on the body.
- Its effects spread throughout the body through the brain and endocrine glands.
- It also removes mental depression.
- With the attainment of proficiency in this practice, the physical, mental, and psychic body are easily prepared for spiritual awakening.
- Mula Bandha Mudra’s celibacy is helpful in upbringing.
- It gives relief from many sexual diseases.
- Mula Bandha Mudra provides the ability to channel sexual energy upwards for spiritual upliftment as well as downward flow to make married life more prosperous.
- It helps in relieving sexual frustration, suppression of sexual energy, and sexual guilt.